Monday, October 4, 2010

A few more tips you didn't need

Please keep in mind, dear readers, that I am not an expert in the field of publishing. I am not even a professional in that field. But, chances are, if you are submitting to a kid's literary magazine your first reader will be kind of me-like in experience. I finished my first box of submissions fairly recently, so here are 3 tips for healthy submitting.

1. We don't care about Pooky. We do not care that Pooky is a real cat who sits by a real window and we wish you would not tell us these things in your cover letter because it kind of creeps us out. Furthermore, Pooky may see really fun, educational things out the window, but "Only Pooky knows what Pooky sees in the dark, dark night" is a BAD WAY to end a poem. A bad way.

To be on the safe side, do not write us about your cat. Cats are kind of inherently creepy.

2. No, we have never had a "grumpy bumpy day" but we are sorry that your main character is having one. You probably don't need to start off your cover letter addressing someone you know to be vaguely adult-like with "have you ever had a grumpy bumpy day?" - we really don't react well to that line of questioning. It makes us, if you will, grumpy-bumpy.

3. If you need to use a letter template on microsoft word, be sure to delete where it says "(your signature here)" BEFORE printing. It's just that I laughed at you a lot.

Okay that's all for now folks, I'm gonna do that whole sleep thing (slept through class this morning. I never do that. Must be really, really tired).

No comments:

Post a Comment